By: Matt Rothman
The offense was alive for the Coral Springs Charter softball team in a doubleheader sweep on Monday.
The Panthers scored 19 runs in their opening game before winning 3-0 in the second matchup to move to 6-2 this year.
“Always nice to win two games in a day, which is rare in high school,” said Head Coach Mark Montimurro. “Our offense clicked in Game 1, and our pitching was lights out again. Hopefully, we’re trending in the right direction.”
CSC had the chance to take on a talented team from Texas in St. Johns School in their first game.
“The biggest adjustment is the angle of the pitches and the speed of the game,” Maston said. “The small field makes the game move really fast. We had a lot of fun, and it was a good team win, and everyone played well.”
Isabella Bertorelli and Taylor Golden combined to drive in six runs. Julia Estroff and Alivia Taibl had RBIs, while the Panthers also stole seven bases. After striking out five in two innings, Godfrey got her first win of the day. Sophia Bertorelli also pitched and had six punch-outs in three innings.
In the second game, CSC defeated St. Brendan High School in a pitcher’s duel. Godfrey and Sophia pitched combined to pitch a no-hitter and recorded 16 of the 21 outs by strikeout. Offensively, Godfrey had two hits and scored a run. Golden and Sophia scored runs, and Basso had an RBI.
“Kate’s been right there,” said Godfrey. “She is just getting comfortable with softball cause she has a baseball background. If she and Basso can keep it going, we’ll be in good shape.”
Next, CSC will have two more games before Spring Break. They will play Western High School on Wednesday, March 16, at 6 p.m. before taking on American Heritage School on March 17. Those two teams have combined to go 7-5-1 this season.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.208 Students From Coral Springs Selected to BCAA All-Star Game
- News2022.05.1812 Coral Glades Student-Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College
- News2022.05.18Stephanie Basso’s 3 Home Run Game Leads CSC Softball to Regional Final
- News2022.05.17Kate Maston’s Transition from Baseball to Softball Pays off for Coral Springs Charter