By: Sharon Aron Baron
A middle school student has been Baker Acted and police have issued a probable cause affidavit after posting on social media asking for someone to shoot up her school – later posting that they would join “him or her”.
On Thursday, at approximately 9:47 a.m. the school administration at Imagine Charter school located at 9001 Westview Drive advised Coral Springs Police about a social media threat where a student posted on Snapchat about shooting up the school.
According to the report, an officer made contact with the 13-year-old student, conducting an interview which ascertained that the student had thought about shooting the school in the past. The student admitted she posted on Snapchat inquiring to have someone shoot up the school to scare her friends who attend Imagine Charter School.
Prior to this incident, the student was Baker Acted in the past, suffering from depression.
She provided Coral Springs Police Officers with her Snapchat username and stated that she deleted the post. Upon review of her phone, the officer reviewed the Snapchat post which said, “Does anyone want to shoot up my school. I will give you the address. Text me if you want to.”
The officer noted the post was viewed 18 times and screenshotted once.
Another post said, “I am so f—king tired of this school that I would join the shooter, and her, him or her.”
Police determined that the student was a threat to herself and others. She was taken into custody under the Baker Act, and transported to the hospital for further treatment. Her mother was contacted and the student made her aware of the incident.
Principal Debra Darling sent a letter out to all parents about the incident:
“This morning, we became aware of online communication regarding our campus that might be considered threatening. We took that threat seriously and followed our policies regarding safety protocols, immediately contacting local law enforcement and our Coral Springs Police Security Detail Officer. We cooperated fully with officers and they conducted an independent investigation.”
The officer completed a not in custody probable cause affidavit charging the student with written threats to kill or do bodily harm.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.15Taddeo and Daley Re-File Legislation to Repeal Unconstitutional Gun Regulation Restriction on Local Governments
- News2021.01.13U.S. Rep Deutch Calls on Pence to Activate 25th Amendment
- News2021.01.13City Reminds Residents Coral Square Vaccination Site is by Appointment Only
- News2021.01.13Coral Springs Resident Named Board Chair of Children’s Harbor