By: Matt Rothman
After a strong regular season, J.P. Taravella’s varsity football team has a chance to continue their year, as they face off against Miami Palmetto Senior High School in the FHSAA 8A playoffs.
The Trojans finished their regular season with a 5-5 record. In the past two seasons, they have won 12 games, after winning only 12 from 2014-2017.
However, they will have a considerable challenge ahead of themselves when they face one of the top teams in the state of Florida. Miami Palmetto has won nine out of 10 games averaging 42.1 points per game in their wins, including three consecutive weeks with a shutout. Their one loss this season came against Cardinal Gibbons High School.
“This team is excited to break the curse,” said head coach Charles Hafley Jr. “We want to represent J.P. Taravella Trojans with pride.”
So far this season, Taravella won five of their last eight games after starting the season 0-3, including their remarkable 27-26 win over Coral Springs High School in overtime. After Dylan Garcia threw a touchdown to his favorite receiver, Reggie Wallace, the Trojans took a seven-point lead in the extra session.
Despite Coral Springs scoring a touchdown, the Trojans blocked the ensuing point after by Adrian Brown to secure the crazy win. They also defeated Coral Glades, Piper, Nova, and South Plantation.
The matchup with Miami Palmetto Senior High School will take place at Tropical Park in Miami on Friday, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Matt worked as the assistant sports editor for his school paper, eaglenews.com in college becoming just one of nine students in his graduating class to serve over 1,000 community service hours. His goal is to travel to every Major League Baseball stadium and has been to multiple US Open finals. He hopes to one day to be a beat writer for a professional team.
- News2020.02.28Prendergast throws perfect game for Coral Springs Charter Baseball
- News2020.02.28Coral Glades Boy’s Lacrosse Win First Game in School History Against J.P. Taravella
- News2020.02.27Coral Springs High School Track and Field Has Strong Start this Season
- Schools2020.02.26J.P Taravella Basketball Makes History Playing in First Regional Semifinals Game