By Sharon Aron Baron
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Principal Michelle Kefford has been named a finalist for the 2021 National Principal of the Year award by the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP).
The National Principal of the Year program recognizes outstanding middle and high school principals who have succeeded in providing high-quality learning opportunities for students and demonstrating exemplary contributions to the profession.
As Florida’s Principal of the Year, Kefford was named a contender for the National Principal of the Year award. An educator for more than 20 years with BCPS, Kefford started her teaching career as a biology teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High. She later became principal at Charles W. Flanagan High School in 2011. During her tenure at Charles W. Flanagan High, the school earned its first-ever “A” state letter grade and received an “A” for six out of seven years at the helm.
In 2019, Kefford returned to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High as its leader, replacing former principal Ty Thompson stepped down about 16 months after the mass shooting.
As a passionate educator, Kefford has also held various positions on District committees, volunteers on numerous city and county committees, and continuously builds school pride and staff morale.
BCPS Superintendent Robert W. Runcie said they are proud of Principal Kefford for the amazing contributions she has made to her students, school, and community.
“She has made a profound and deliberate impact on her students, teachers, and administrators by creating an environment responsive to her school and community’s needs, while also allowing for innovation and creativity to nurture academic success.”
The NASSP National Principal of the Year program honors State Principals of the Year from each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Department of State Office of Overseas Schools, and the U.S. Department of Defense Education Activity.
Out of these exceptional school leaders, three are selected as finalists, and one is ultimately selected for the National Principal of the Year award. The 2021 National Principal of the Year will be virtually announced on October 21, 2020, during National Principals Month.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.30Coral Springs Center for the Arts Announces 11 Concerts, Comedy, and Shows
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts