By: Chris Brunner
The brother of gunman Nikolas Cruz was arrested on Monday after trespassing on the campus of Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
Zachary Cruz, 18, faces a charge of trespassing on the Parkland campus.
Cruz is the younger brother 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz who opened fire inside Stoneman Douglas, killing 17 people and wounding more than a dozen others on February 14. He is currently being held at the Broward County Jail awaiting trial. Zachary and Nikolas are half brothers, sharing the same biological mother.
According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, at 4:30 p.m. on Monday afternoon, Cruz unlawfully entered the grounds of the school after prior warnings by school officials to refrain from entering the campus. He surpassed all locked doors and gates and proceeded to ride his skateboard though the school grounds.
Cruz stated that he unlawfully entered the school property to “reflect on the school shooting and to soak it in” – referring to the school shooting.
At the current time, Cruz has no ties to Broward County. Cruz is being held on a $500,000 bond which a Broward judge will decide after hearing arguments on both sides.
- Chris has been a contributing writer at Tamarac Talk and Coral Springs Talk since high school. He is a resident of Coral Springs and is currently attending college.
- News2020.04.16Museum of Discovery and Science Now Partners with Broward County Public Schools
- News2020.04.06Nominate a Healthcare, First Responders & Unsung Community Hero for a 2020 Hyundai Sonata Giveaway
- News2019.09.25Grudges Settled in the Ring at Coastal Championship Wrestling in Coral Springs
- News2019.09.23Coral Springs Police Hold Shredathon where Items will be Safely Destroyed