By Kevin Deutsch
A J.P. Taravella High School student is on life support after contracting COVID-19, her family said.
Paulina Velasquez, a 15-year-old sophomore and member of Church By the Glades in Coral Springs, tested positive for the virus on July 11, according to a GoFundMe page created by her family, who are raising money for medical expenses.
Paulina’s mother, Agnes, is also suffering from COVID-19.
“Covid rapidly altered her life,” Paulina’s family wrote. “Within days, she required a ventilator and was placed in a medically induced coma. The medical bills are mounting. Beyond the ICU care, Paulina will require a multidisciplinary therapeutic healthcare team to help her regain her basic skills: eating, drinking, walking, and speech.”
Paulina is currently on life support at Broward Health Medical Center’s ICU, her family wrote.
“Your prayers and financial contributions are deeply appreciated and desperately needed. We know as a family-church community, there are no strangers. We are united in this effort.”
As of Tuesday morning, the family had raised more than $11,000 toward their $50,000 GoFundMe goal.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- Crime & Safety2022.05.19“A Growing Threat”: Rep. Deutch Applauds Passage of Resolution Condemning Rising Antisemitism
- News2022.05.16COVID Infection Totals Rising In Broward Schools
- Eat2022.05.14Coral Springs Restaurants Suffer Revenue Losses Amid Gas Outage
- News2022.05.13Coral Springs Crime Update: $472K Fraud Using False Pretense