By Ryan Yousefi
A woman was arrested and charged with grand theft and providing false identification after allegedly conducting a string of brazen thefts at the same Target location.
On March 31, the Coral Springs Police Department responded to a theft in progress at the Target located at 4400 State Road 7.
According to the arrest report, officers were informed upon arrival that a woman, later identified as Chaka Schnell Smith, 35, of Lauderhill, had committed retail theft and left the store.
The report says witnesses and store employees told officers Smith was observed selecting four KitchenAid mixers worth $1,629.96 and walking out of the store without paying for them.
A Target employee reported to officers at one point they came into contact with Smith on her way to the exit, where she said: “You’re doing a good job baby, but I’m going out that fire exit, and I’m coming back.”
According to the report, Smith is clearly seen on security footage filling a shopping cart full of high-priced items, leaving through a fire exit, and loading the merchandise into a black sedan parked at the rear of the store.
On April 10, the Coral Springs Police Department responded to a delayed retail theft report at the same Target store, where a Target Loss Prevention employee again identified Smith as a suspect in retail theft and confirmed that she was the same suspect who committed the theft on March 31.
The report says officers detained Smith in handcuffs, and upon interview, she admitted to intending to steal the selected items and acting in concert with another individual who was waiting in a burgundy vehicle.
Smith was arrested and transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here. Don’t miss reading Parkland Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiple outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- Events2023.06.01Rapids Water Park Honors South Florida Teachers with ‘Educator Appreciation Day’ June 10
- Crime & Safety2023.05.30Man Carrying a Concealed Sword inside of Urgent Care Waiting Room Faces Charges
- Crime & Safety2023.05.277 Unrestrained Children, Open Beer Bottle: Coral Springs Resident Faces 27 Charges Following Car Accident
- Crime & Safety2023.05.27Coral Springs Police Arrest Suspect for Premeditated Murder After a Night of Chaos in Coconut Creek