By Hank McCoy
A man who said he was trying to be “slick” was arrested at Walmart for allegedly stealing a motorized scooter, along with pants, shirts, and multiple body wash containers.
On June 28, Radcliffe Barnett of Tamarac, 43, was caught walking out of a Walmart on Turtle Creek Drive in Coral Springs without paying for the items he had in his possession. Barnett scanned the items at the self-checkout but didn’t pay as he attempted to leave.
A loss prevention employee monitored Barnett as he entered the store via CCTV Surveillance at 1:53 p.m. Baptiste observed him grab multiple shirts, pants, body wash, and lastly, a motorized scooter from the Toy Department before running the items through the self-checkout without paying.
According to Barnett’s statement, he was trying to be “slick” and was apprehended by the employee as he was exiting the store.
Coral Springs Police Department officers arrived on the scene and took Barnett into custody. He agreed to speak with the officer without the presence of an attorney and admitted to attempting to steal the merchandise.
After the officer performed a criminal history query, they found Barnett had been convicted of theft more than twice already and is currently on probation until February of 2023.
The loss prevention employee provided officers with a witness statement and a receipt listing all the items taken by Barnett along with their values.
Barnett subsequently was arrested for petit theft and violation of parole, and Walmart chose to pursue charges of the items totaling $658.01.
As a result of the alleged theft, Barnett is barred from the Walmart on Turtle Creek Drive for 90 days.
He was transported to the Coral Springs Police Department for processing and later to the Broward Sheriff’s Office main jail for booking.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Hank McCoy is a writer and journalist covering music, politics, and culture on his blog Hank’s Luncheonette, as well as currently working on publishing his first novel. Hank grew up in Parkland and graduated from FAU before moving to Chicago where he worked in the music industry as an artist and talent booker when he wasn’t throwing people out of punk bars. Hank recently moved back to South Florida after living overseas in Berlin while he traveled to Europe.
- News2020.10.09Sale of City Property Leads to Redevelopment of Village Square in Coral Springs
- News2020.10.05Coral Springs Welcomes First Medical Marijuana Dispensary
- News2020.10.01Surf’s Up! Coral Springs Could See Big Waves with One of a Kind Surf Park
- News2020.09.29Former Coral Springs Resident Charged with Cryptocurrency Fraud Caught in Austria