By: Sharon Aron Baron
There will be a lot to celebrate at this year’s Race For Women’s Wellness 5k and Half Mile with Broward Health Coral Springs. After being diagnosed with cancer 25 years ago, Lisa Boccard, the face of the foundation, is happy to report that all of her scans have come back cancer-free for the past four months.
This news comes at the perfect time while she is in full swing helping to organize the annual race taking place Saturday March 26, 2016 at the Coral Springs Sportsplex. This will be the 11th year for the 5k and the third year for the half-marathon, sponsored by The City of Coral Springs. The Lisa Boccard Breast Cancer Fund was founded in 2003 by Vincent Boccard, former Mayor of Coral Springs, and his wife Terry in support of Lisa’s fight with breast cancer.
“This year is monumental for me,” said Boccard. “This is my first event that I’ll be attending 100 percent cancer free.”
In 2015, the event attracted over 2,000 participants and raised over $35,000. “We’re thrilled to be able to continue hosting this event for the community,” said Barbara Epes, Regional Marketing Manager for Broward Health Coral Springs. “Each year we continue to grow and help more women in the community obtain the assistance that they all deserve. Lisa is an intricate part of the connection that we have with community. She’s not only the face of the foundation – she’s a survivor.”
Lisa Boccard believes that through education and community outreach they will continue to heal and help many more women this year.
“Our community partners that contribute to events like these are the reason that we’ve been able to screen over 1,200 women for breast cancer. Out of those, 60 have been identified with breast cancer. These women have received treatment and are still here with us today,” said Boccard.
The half marathon begins at 6 a.m. and the 5k begins at 7:30 a.m. All participants will receive a t-shirt and finishers medal. For more information and to register, visit itzevents.com. The Sportsplex is located at 3299 Sportsplex Dr, Coral Springs, FL 33065
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event