By: Sharon Aron Baron
Do your friends think you’re funny and you love to win money?
Are you amazing with rhyming and have a good sense of timing?
Then you need to enter to win our first-ever St. Patrick’s Day Limerick Competition sponsored by Wings Plus. The rules are simple: write the best and cleverest limerick and win a $50 gift certificate to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day – or any other day at Wings Plus Restaurant on Sample Road where they’re serving up Corned Beef and Cabbage and their famous Shepherd’s Pie. If you’re over 21 you can enjoy some Guinness beer straight from Ireland as well as green beer. Maybe if you’re lucky, Manager Bridget DeVita will whip up a special Chocolate Baileys Irish Cream Mousse for you.
About limerick writing
- A limerick has five lines, with lines 1, 2 and 5 rhyming, and lines 3 and 4 rhyming
- Classic limericks used the same word at the end of the 1st and the 5th line.
- and modern limericks may use a different word with the last line being the punch Line.
Here are examples of limericks that have to do with local politics. Can you guess who these are about?
There once was a politician, a man
Who represented a small part of the land
The law said he must live in the Springs
But he refused to move all of his things
And continued to live in Parkland.
A commissioner who once on a dare
Would shave off all of his hair
But it would be too late to stop
When it was shaved too close to the top
By the barber Marty Kiar.
Entries must be funny, and have something to do with either current events, the city, political figures, the presidential election or something the public is familiar with. NOT OUR SPONSOR. All entries must be emailed by midnight March 11 to: [email protected] No entries will be accepted on our Facebook page. Your first and last name must be submitted as well.
One winner will be chosen by our judges and their limerick and full name will appear on www.CoralSpringsTalk.com. Honorable mentions will also be featured. A $50 gift certificate (good anytime) will be awarded by Wings Plus of Sample Road. All ages can enter. Must be 21 and up to drink alcohol.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.03.03School Duel Features Coral Glades High School in Quiz Show
- News2021.03.03Chamber Educates Business Community with 1st Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Summit
- News2021.03.02Broward League of Cities Offering Scholarships to 2021 High School Seniors
- Events2021.03.02RSVP for Multi-Chamber ‘International Women’s Day’ Panel and Brunch