By Kevin Deutsch
An apologetic armed robber ripped off a Coral Springs vape shop while telling the terrified store clerk he was sorry, court records show.
Alexander Montalvo, 26, of Coral Springs, walked into Fresh Vapors, 7848 Wiles Rd., on Jan. 15 and asked the clerk about “high end” items the store had for sale.
He asked to purchase three vape cigarettes before pulling a stiletto-style knife, its blade springing from the handle when he pressed a button, the records allege.
“I don’t want to hurt you, just give me the money, I am sorry but I have to do this,” Montalvo allegedly told the clerk, according to an arrest affidavit filed by Coral Springs Police.
The clerk opened the cash register and handed Montalvo the $205 it held, police said. The robber then filled several store bags with merchandise and fled.
Police said they later spotted Montalvo at a Chevron station on Wiles Road and felt he matched the robber’s description. They searched him and found a switchblade and a bag from the vape shop containing some loose cash, according to the records.
Montalvo’s clothes matched those worn by the robber seen on the shop’s surveillance video, according to police.
He was taken to Broward Health Coral Springs for medical clearance and later booked into the Joseph V. Conte facility, a jail in Broward County. He was being held without bond there Thursday afternoon.
Send to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.05.27EL AL To Open U.S. Headquarters In Margate
- Crime & Safety2022.05.26Coral Springs Man Charged With 2 More Counts of Murder in Crime Spree
- Crime & Safety2022.05.24Man Responsible For Deadly Crime Spree Claimed He Had Bomb, Asked Police to Shoot Him, Records Show
- News2022.05.23Broward County Pandemic Rent Relief Program Expands With New Funding