By: Matt Rothman
For the first time since 2003, the Coral Springs girl’s basketball team won the District Championship following their win over Deerfield Beach High School 37-34 on Friday night.
The Colts took a one-point lead into halftime, but in the third quarter, the two teams combined for 37 points. However, Coral Springs held Deerfield Beach without a field goal in the final eight minutes for the three-point win.
In what has been a long year that consisted of many up and downs, Head Coach Brent Hankerson could not be prouder of his team.
“I want to thank Coach Don and Coach Brian for everything they do, and most importantly, I want to think those wonderful young ladies on the team that put up with me and believed in what they were doing and didn’t quit and got the job done,” said Hankerson.
They will advance to Regionals with a 13-8 record having won five straight and eight of their last nine games.
The Colts will host Regionals on Thursday, February 13, at 7 p.m. They are still waiting to find out who they will be playing.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.07.21J.P. Taravella’s All-County Outfielder Luis Rodriguez Makes His College Choice
- News2021.07.19Coral Springs Girls Travel Basketball Team Ranks Number 1 in the State
- News2021.07.16Coral Springs Native Caleb Roberts Selected in 5th Round of MLB Draft
- News2021.07.16J.P. Taravella Grad Jack Sinclair Drafted in 16th Round of MLB Draft