Can’t view the slideshow on your mobile device? Then view it on Flickr.
By: Sharon Aron Baron
Veterans Day was observed in Coral Springs on Tuesday morning with a moving ceremony that included local US Army Veteran Ron Stancavage and Navy Veteran Cheri Tishman.
The event included a welcome by William Vasquez, President of the Veterans Coalition. The Invocation was given by Billie Abell of the Royal Palm Christian Church, and the Presentation of Colors was given by Major Keith Walland and the Coral Springs Cadet Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol. Pledge of Allegiance and “God Bless America” were presented and sung by American Heritage Girls.
Speaker Ron Stancavage was drafted into the US Army and was later sent for a tour of duty in Vietnam. He rose to the rank of Sergeant during his time in the military and spent six years in active and Reserves. He currently serves as a mentor for Impact Broward and is the Vice President of the Veterans Coalition of Coral Springs and is a member of Honor Flight.
Speaker Cheri Tishman was pursuing a career in photojournalism when she joined the Navy after high school. She was stationed in Puerto Rico where she flew in helicopters to photograph the landscape, as well as served as a photographer for the troops who took part in the Granada incident. She spent six years in the Navy and then resided in Puerto Rico for 15 years before moving back to Florida. Tishman currently works as a photographer and serves as the secretary of the Veterans Coalition of Coral Springs and as the events committee coordinator who set up fundraising events and various activities.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2019.11.18Cold Case Cracked in 1996 Coral Springs Rape Case
- News2019.11.18Ticket Alert: Peppa Pig’s Adventure! Heading to Coral Springs
- Events2019.11.18Relay for Life Coral Springs/Parkland Hold Kickoff Event November 19
- News2019.11.17Broward County Public Schools Choice Application Window Opens December 2