By Sharon Aron Baron
The Veterans Coalition of Coral Springs and the City of Coral Springs honors the military on Veterans Day in a virtual ceremony.
This year’s guest speaker is Guy William Drab, who retired in January 2018, following 41+ years of Federal Service in the Department of Defense.
After graduating from West Point and his commission as an Officer in the US Army, Drab served as an Airborne-Ranger, Field Artillery Officer, and Battery Commander with the U.S. Army between 1970 – 1976, including a deployment to Vietnam in 1975.
He returned to active duty as a Chaplain after completing Seminary School and was deployed with the U.S. Marine Corp, 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Division from 1982-1984. After, he served with the U.S. Navy in Japan from 1984-1988. He retired from Submarine Squadron 8 in Norfolk, Virginia, in 1997.
Performing at the ceremony is Anthony Zoeller, Director of the Forest Glen Middle School Chorus.
Ceremoniously, the Coral Springs Police and Fire Honor Guard will honor our nation’s military members with a wreath-laying and full honors.
Ahead of Veterans Day, the Garden Club of Coral Springs honored our city’s veterans with a Blue Star Memorial and Florida Native Garden planted at Coral Springs Veterans Park.
Over 100 native plants were planted, and a Blue Star Marker was placed to honor the men and women who serve our country and protect our freedom.
Due to COVID-19, residents are asked to watch the ceremony digitally but are welcome to visit Veterans Park (8601 Royal Palm Boulevard) to pay their respects to our military and see the newly placed Blue Star Marker.
To recognize a resident who served or currently serves in our nation’s armed forces, the city encourages residents and business leaders to submit a Coral Springs Veteran for recognition by filling out the form located on their website. Those submitted will be recognized during a City Commission meeting monthly.
The City of Coral Springs values, honors, and appreciates veterans and their families for their service. For more information on the program, please call 954-344-1004.
Watch the ceremony Wednesday, November 11, aired at 10:45 a.m. on the city’s social media pages, CityTV, Blue Stream Channels 25, 25.2, 725, and on AT&T U-Verse Channel 99.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event