By Ryan Yousefi
A man was arrested after threatening a Broward County Transit bus full of people with a knife while it was traveling through downtown Coral Springs.
On October 29, the Coral Springs Police Department received a call about a man threatening passengers on a County bus with a deadly weapon. Officers were dispatched to the corner of Sample Road and University Drive in response.
According to the report, when officers arrived, they encountered passengers fleeing the bus. Officers were quickly informed that a man sitting at a nearby bus stop — later identified as Donald Tippins, 34 — had pulled out a knife and threatened the group as the bus traveled through Coral Springs.
The report stated the bus driver told officers his bus was traveling eastbound on Sample Road when he noticed Tippins move from his seat to a seat behind him. The driver told officers soon after switching seats, Tippins began to threaten him, forcing him to stop the bus.
The driver told officers that at this point, Tippins produced a knife and began threatening everyone on the bus. The driver and those seated towards the front of the bus were able to flee, and Tippins soon followed, allowing the rest of the passengers on the bus to escape as well.
As officers arrived, they witnessed the remainder of the bus emptying, and Tippins was identified as the suspect. Tippins’ address on the police report is listed as “at large,” indicating he is likely currently homeless.
Tippins was taken into custody by officers without incident and taken to Northwest Medical Center for medical clearance before being transported to the Broward County Jail, where he was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- Crime & Safety2021.04.21Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie Arrested For Perjury
- News2021.03.26COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 26: Coral Springs Crosses 12,000 Case Threshold
- News2021.03.24Coral Springs COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 24
- News2021.03.22Coral Springs COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 22