By Sharon Aron Baron
Independence Day weekend will be unlike any other with the amount of COVID-19 case surging across South Florida. Now all of South Florida’s beaches will be closed to help prevent the spread.
In an announcement, Broward County Mayor Dale Holness said Broward County beaches will be closed over the Fourth of July weekend, following Palm Beach and Miami-Dade’s lead.
Deputy County Administrator Monica Cepero issued Emergency Order 20-19, which officially closes the beaches from 12:01 a.m. on Friday, July 3, through 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, July 5.
The order also clearly identifies the entities authorized to enforce the closure and sets forth consequences for non-compliance, including civil and criminal penalties.
Broward County is closely monitoring the percentage of positive cases of COVID-19, said Cepero. Although closing the beaches on a holiday weekend may be an unpopular decision for some, it is the responsible action for the county to take.
“Broward County and its municipalities take public safety actions seriously, as we believe it will help mitigate the spread of the virus and protect our residents and our community,” said Cepero.
The order sets the minimum standards for compliance. However, cities may establish more stringent standards within their jurisdictions, to the extent allowed by law.
The statement reminded residents are reminded to stay home if they are able, wash their hands often, observe social distancing, and wear a facial covering in public. Social distancing and facial coverings when in public areas are required in Broward County, and are critical to slowing the spread of COVID-19.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.06.23New Religious School Director Joins Temple Beth Orr in Coral Springs
- Events2021.06.22Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event
- Events2021.06.22Ticket Alert: Comedian Steven Wright Performs at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.06.18Volunteers Needed for Coral Springs Drive Clean-Up Day June 26