By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Nicholas Dworet Memorial Fund has announced the recipients of their 2020 college scholarship awards.
The Memorial Fund is named after Coral Springs resident Nicholas Dworet, who dreamed of swimming in the Olympics. At the age of 17, his young life was stolen from him and 16 others when a gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018.
Dworet became one of the best swimmers for TS Aquatics in Tamarac and competed for Marjory Stoneman Douglas in the 4A State competition in 2017, finishing in first place. His coach, Andre Bailey, believes that if he continued the hard work, he would have potentially been in the Olympics representing Sweden — his mother’s birthplace, as he was one of the fastest in his age group.
This year seven students received $1,000 scholarships in Nick’s honor. Two of the scholarships were awarded to members of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas swim team, three to members of TS Aquatics swim club, and two to Broward County high school swimmers, which is a new scholarship for 2020.
The recipients are as follows:
Kenan Kocoglu (New Jersey Institute of Technology) – Also a member of TS Aquatics
Penelope Jacobson (Brandeis University)
TS Aquatics Scholarships:
Luis Bucaro (University of Indianapolis)
Delaney Biro (Florida International University)
Emme Ham (Barton College)
Broward County Scholarships:
Leonardo Mateus (Yale University)
Chloe Carignan (Birmingham-Southern College)
To donate to the Nicholas Dworet Memorial Fund, visit their website here.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.10.22Tickets Still Available for Comedian Whitney Cummings Nov. 12
- Events2021.10.21Tickets Still Available for ‘The Price is Right Live’ in Coral Springs Oct. 29
- News2021.10.19Volunteers Needed to Assist Free Food Distribution at Chabad of Coral Springs
- News2021.10.14Coral Springs ‘Taps’ into Bavarian Culture with Amazing Oktoberfest Celebration