By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs High School boys and girls water polo team have won nine District Championships in the past five years and are off to a great start in 2021.
The boys are 5-0 and have beat J.P. Taravella, Pembroke Pines Charter, Nova High School, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, and on March 2, Westminster Academy 20-4. Nick Pototsky scored 11 goals in their last game, while Josh Arteaga and Noah Gilman each scored three goals and combined for four assists.
Logan Isom also scored twice, along with Erik Cooper. Tyler Solorzano had five assists, eight blocks, and 11 steals.
“Their team chemistry is incredible; however, overconfidence causes some of them to make costly mistakes,” said head coach Dan Barbosa. “We want them to develop patience and learn to play the long game.”
The girls are 2-2 after defeating Nova High School and had their last win against MSD as Lilly Shoenthaler led the team with six goals in an 11-9 victory, scoring 11 goals in her last two matches.
Gia D’Attile and Sam Kinggard each registered two goals. Katie Foster had two steals, and Juanita Montoya had ten blocks and one steal.
“They have a lot of individual experience but need to work more cohesively as a team,” Coach Barbosa said. “We’re working on development, their confidence, and communication.”
Up next, both teams will travel to Cooper City High School on Tuesday, March 9, as the girls will play first at 4:30 p.m., followed by the boys at 5:30 p.m.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.07.21J.P. Taravella’s All-County Outfielder Luis Rodriguez Makes His College Choice
- News2021.07.19Coral Springs Girls Travel Basketball Team Ranks Number 1 in the State
- News2021.07.16Coral Springs Native Caleb Roberts Selected in 5th Round of MLB Draft
- News2021.07.16J.P. Taravella Grad Jack Sinclair Drafted in 16th Round of MLB Draft