By Kevin Deutsch
A former Coral Springs Police officer has been sentenced to 14-and-a-half months in state prison after pleading guilty to two counts of using a computer to sexually exploit a child, court records show.
Steven Daniello, 64, who was arrested in January 2021, will also serve nearly four years of probation after completing his prison term, according to documents filed in Broward County Circuit Court.
As part of his sentence, issued Jan. 4, Daniello will register as a sex offender, forfeit his law enforcement officer certification, pay $10,680 in restitution, and stay away from the 15-year-old female victim, according to the records.
Daniello, whose most recent job with Coral Springs Police was a school resource officer position at Westchester Elementary School, was fired after his arrest. He had been with the department since 2017 and previously worked on the Coconut Creek Police force.
According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, investigators said he offered to pay the teen victim for nude photos of herself and discussed her performing sexual acts for him.
Investigators said that an undercover detective began posing as the victim online, and Daniello—believing he was speaking with the teen—requested oral sex.
Daniello was being held at the Broward Main Jail Monday while awaiting transfer to state prison, records show.
Send to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- Crime & Safety2022.01.27“I Don’t Think It’s Okay”: Coral Springs Man Arrested on Child Porn Charges
- Crime & Safety2022.01.26Family of Coral Springs Man Killed by Teen Driver: He Had ‘Such a Bright Future’
- Crime & Safety2022.01.25Driver in Deadly Ferrari Crash Notches Legal Wins Against BSO
- News2022.01.25Florida Closes Monoclonal Antibody Sites After FDA Revokes Authorization