By Bryan Boggiano
The Kendall family, former owners of D’Apple Cafe in Coral Springs for nearly 13 years, celebrated the grand opening of Kendall Kafe in Tamarac on Tuesday.
Located at 7658 N. Nob Hill Road in the Kings Point Plaza, Kendall Kafe is owned by Diron and Michelle Kendall and his mother, Debbe. The menu and staff are largely the same, but the atmosphere is different. They replaced the apple theme with frames and scenery displaying positive messages.
Kendall Kafe has breakfast all day, with options such as omelets, biscuits and gravy, grits, Belgian waffles, and pancakes. They also serve lunch items such as hamburgers, wraps, and sandwiches.
For Diron, he said the new theme represents a rebirth for the family and the restaurant after a rough 2020. His father, Lloyd, an Army veteran, died in January. There is still one apple in the new restaurant, and it serves as a memorial to him.
Last May, D’apple closed due to the pandemic. The family started a GoFundMe campaign to keep the restaurant open, which served as a community cornerstone, but it was unsuccessful.
“I so miss watching the people and their children grow,” said Diron. “I miss that I watched kids in a high chair go to high school then rooting for them at their colleges. I cry that I know that after MSD, being the closest cafe, we were open to the teachers, first responders, and reporters that witnessed and filmed that massacre and the children that didn’t get that chance to come back.”
They delayed reopening to keep themselves and their customers safe from COVID-19. But since Tuesday, Diron said that Tamarac residents welcomed and supported them, and he hopes to have the same impact at the new location.
“Tamarac residents have been so great as well,” he said. “I hope we can get the same loyalty and friends we gained from [Coral Springs].”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- A University of Florida journalism graduate, Bryan is pursuing his masters in geosciences at Florida International University. He has a strong interest in weather, entertainment, and journalism.
- Eat2021.10.19Bronx Bagel & Deli to Open 2nd Location in Coral Springs
- Events2021.10.19Coral Springs Museum of Art Fall II Classes Start Nov. 1
- News2021.10.17City Commission Discusses Updates to Cornerstone Project on Oct. 20
- Events2021.10.17Halloween-Themed Craft Show Flies Into Coral Springs Oct. 30