By: Sharon Aron Baron
Don’t think your Coral Springs home is worth what the Broward County Tax Appraiser says its worth? Property owners who may want to appeal their property’s value, exemptions and classification can file for a petition with the County’s Value Adjustment Board (VAB) beginning Monday, August 5.
Property owners who disagree with the assessment on their property’s value or have been denied an exemption, classification or tax deferral can file electronically online using a credit card at bcvab.broward.org/axiaweb2013 or in person at the Broward County Governmental Center, 115 S. Andrews Ave., Second Floor, Room 200, Fort Lauderdale. Business hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; hours on the final day to file will be from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
The VAB also reminds residents that the Florida Legislature passed a law, HB 281, in June 2011 regarding the payment of taxes. If you petition the VAB for anything other than a denial of tax deferral, you must pay all non-ad valorem assessments and a portion of your ad valorem taxes before they become delinquent, usually by April 1.
For an assessment or portability appeal, you are required to make a payment of at least 75 percent of your ad valorem taxes.
Property owners must make a good faith payment of the taxes that they believe they owe for an appeal of a classification, exemption or whether an improvement was substantially complete on January 1. The petition will be denied if the taxes are not paid as described under Florida Statute 194.014. The deadline to file a timely petition is Monday, September 18. There is a $15 nonrefundable fee for filing a petition.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.06.15Construction Alert: Riverside Drive Street Upgrades Begin June 21
- Events2021.06.14TICKET ALERT: Comedian Whitney Cummings Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- News2021.06.13Independence Day Celebrations are Back with Live Music and Spectacular Fireworks Show
- Events2021.06.10Veterans Coalition Holds Annual Flag Day Ceremony in Coral Springs