By: Sharon Aron Baron
The portable surgical center may be small at only 400 square feet, but it still has everything the Humane Society of Broward County needs to perform low-cost and free pet spay and neuter surgeries.
The custom unit, which is the first of its kind in the nation was designed by FORTS of Coral Springs. Inside the small space there’s a surgery prep area, two surgery tables and a pre- and post- op recovery area.
Surgeries will be performed five days a week on the new custom portable unit recently acquired by Broward County Animal Care & Adoption.
The portable unit is currently stationed at Delevoe Park, 2520 NW 6th Street, Fort Lauderdale and will remain on site for approximately 6 months. After that, the unit is folded up, slid back on its custom trailer and moved to another targeted location within Broward County where there is a need for spay/neuter services.
Spay/neuter surgeries will continue to be performed four days a week at the HSBC on their mobile unit as well. To see if your pets qualify for a free spay/neuter through the SNIP Program, Broward County residents must apply online. If you are approved you will receive a voucher that can be redeemed at the HSBC by making an appointment. You can also learn about sterilization programs for feral and free roaming cats at their website as well.
If you do not receive a voucher, pricing for spaying and neutering is as follows:
- Female cats $45; male cats $30; feral cats in traps (ear notch required) $20
- Dogs 0-60 pounds = $100; 61 – 110 pounds = $150; Over 111 pounds = $175
The Humane Society of Broward County wants you to help make a difference for the animals in our community and also help your pet live a longer and healthier life by having them spayed or neutered.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.23Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste October 3
- News2020.09.22Coral Springs Museum of Art Features the Smithsonian’s ‘100 Faces of War’
- News2020.09.22MD NOW in Coral Springs Now Offering Free Flu Shots
- News2020.09.205 Cases of Child Abuse Reported this Week in Coral Springs Crime