By: Sharon Aron Baron
The satisfaction she gets from making people smile is the best reward, says this year’s recipient of the prestigious Signature Artist Award for the Coral Springs Festival of the Arts.
Sharon Segal’s “Staying Cool,” a depiction of whimsical Ibises, was chosen to represent the Festival of the Arts this year. Not only will Segal receive prizes as well as a free booth to sell her art, her piece will be featured in the Festival’s advertisements and on t-shirts and posters.
“I see these birds [Ibis] everywhere and thought they would be fun to paint.” said Segal. “I love that my paintings make people smile, and getting that reaction from them.”
Segal, who lives in Lake Worth with her husband Shawn, and dog Henry, is a sixth grade math teacher at Wellington Landings Middle School. She previously won the award back in 2010 with her work “Coral Springs Times.”
After teaching for nine years, painting in her spare time helps a busy teacher like Segal relax.
“Definitely, when I paint, I go into another world. It’s calming, relaxing; a de-stresser,” said Segal who admitted that sometimes she doesn’t feel like painting. “I have to be in a mood to paint. Once I’m in the mood, there’s no stopping me.”
Segal spent her first five years teaching elementary aged children until she “graduated” to teaching 6th grade a couple years ago. “I loved teaching the little guys. I also loved the children’s books, they were brightly colored.” Her art has reflected that change in herself as well. “I’ve veered away from geometric and more into animals and whimsical.”
The Coral Springs Festival of the Arts is entering its 11th year and will be held March 7 and 8 at The Walk in Coral Springs. The Festival features over 200 artists and crafters, music, performing arts, and a literary venue.
Segal’s art can also be seen in other local art shows in Palm Beach, Delray Beach and Hobe Sound, however, she says she’s looking forward to being back in Coral Springs in March. “I love going back there, the people are so nice. It’s like my home and has a special place in my heart.”
Want to see more of Sharon Segal’s artwork? View it here at www.sharonsegalart.com
For sponsorship information or how you can become a part of the Coral Springs Festival of the Arts go to www.csfoa.org.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.30Coral Springs Center for the Arts Announces 11 Concerts, Comedy, and Shows
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts