By: Matt Rothman
Original Florida Poker Star and Coral Springs resident Carter Derks officially committed to play college baseball at Florida Atlantic University.
“It feels really good to commit,” Derks said. “I didn’t want to rush, but I really wanted to go to FAU, so I committed. It definitely takes some weight off your shoulders, but when you commit, the real work starts.”
Derks started playing baseball when he was three and went on to compete for North Springs Little League. His first travel team was the South Florida Infermo, and he also played for the Original Florida Pokers. Derks attends St. Andrews School and has been on the varsity team since seventh grade. He is a lifetime .367 hitter with two home runs and 29 RBIs but is going to FAU as a pitcher.
“He had to work really hard to get to where he is now and has overcome a lot of adversity,” Original Florida Pokers Head Coach Rob Georgiou said. “His hard work ethic and love of the game is what has afforded him the opportunity of achieving his goal of playing big-time Division 1 baseball.”
Derks wanted to remain close to home and felt like FAU was a competitive team with a great coaching staff. The Owls went 34-25 this past season and had a player drafted in the first round of the MLB Draft. Before college, Derks wants to continue getting stronger and quicker while also making sure he can throw all his pitches for strikes at the next level.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here. Don’t miss reading Parkland Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- EventsOctober 1, 2023Register Now for the Saint Andrew Catholic Parish 20th Annual Golf Tournament
- NewsSeptember 30, 2023Rivalry Night: Coral Springs Charter Football Faces Off Against J.P. Taravella
- NewsSeptember 30, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Dominates Pig Bowl: Coral Springs Principal Kisses the Pig
- NewsSeptember 28, 20234 Middle School Cross Country Teams Compete in Race