By: Sharon Aron Baron
Coral Springs Police are asking for the public’s help in finding the driver who crashed into another car, killing the driver, before fleeing the scene.
Around 1:22 a.m. on Sunday morning members of the traffic unit were called to West Sample Road and State Road 7 where a two-car collision had occurred.
According to police, a dark gray 2011 BMW 535 was traveling at a high rate of speed on the exit ramp of State Road 7 attempting to travel west on West Sample Road when it failed to negotiate the curve of the exit ramp. The driver of the dark gray BMW lost control of the vehicle, and as a result, it traveled across a raised ramp median, impacting a white 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander traveling westbound on West Sample Road. The impact caused both vehicles to overturn.
The white 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander was driven by Charlie Ruiz, 39, of Coral Springs, was transported to Broward Health North where he was pronounced deceased shortly after arrival. Ruiz, who was the father of a young teenage daughter was on his way home from work.
The dark gray 2011 BMW 535 was driven by an unknown male, approximately 18 years-old, who fled on foot upon the arrival of police officers. Witnesses report seeing at least one, possibly more teenage passengers who fled the scene after exiting the flipped over BMW. The BMW is believed to have been taken during a house party in the area of 4100 NW 58th Street in Coconut Creek.
Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the crash, know the identity of the driver or other occupants or who may have attended the house party in Coconut Creek to call Coral Springs Traffic Homicide Investigator Richard Schaut 954-346-1755.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.17Parkland Couple Builds Facebook Community for COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- News2021.01.17Dr. John W. Ruffin Posthumously Named Martin Luther King Jr Monument Award Winner
- News2021.01.16Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Applications Open to 5 High Schools
- News2021.01.15Taddeo and Daley Re-File Legislation to Repeal Unconstitutional Gun Regulation Restriction on Local Governments