By: Sharon Aron Baron
Pope Francis began his six day U.S. trip to cities including Washington D.C., New York, and Philadelphia. But what most people may not know is that he made a quick stopover in Coral Springs to visit the students at Saint Andrew Catholic Parish and School.
Well, sort of.
Students and staff at the school have been so excited about the Pope’s visit that in conjunction with many activities in the classroom they have been working on, they created a mock “Papal Motorcade” complete with a golf cart, as the popemobile, security people, and screaming crowds.
“The middle school kids that were the secret service and Pope felt it was an important honor to behave in a way that made the younger students understand how loved and respected our Holy Father is,” said Kathy-Aprea Cook, middle school history and literature teacher who helped with the preparation of the Papal Motorcade.
Students also wrote prayers for the Pope and watched him on national media, joining millions of people in welcoming Pope Francis to the U.S.
“The excitement generated by our Papal motorcade helped the middle schoolers understand and feel united to the many Catholics who camped in the streets of D.C. just to catch a glimpse of Pope Francis,” said Maureen Cook who teaches middle school math and religion.
On Saturday evening, parishioners, school staff, families, and students will gather at Saint Andrew’s Social Hall for a family event which will include a message from the Pastor, Monsignor Souckar on Pope Francis and the Life of he family followed by live streaming from the Festival for Families Event.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2022.01.25Florida Press Club Awards Talk Media for Online and Community News
- Events2022.01.25Free Concerts Are Back at ‘The Walk’ on Wednesday’s in Coral Springs
- News2022.01.17Celebrating 10 Years: Winner’s Name Drawn for $150 Gift Card Giveaway
- News2022.01.17Free Food Distribution Held on Jan. 19 at Chabad of Coral Springs