William Fontez and Alexander Montalvo
By: Sharon Aron Baron
Thanks to one vigilant neighbor, two suspected car burglars in Coral Springs were arrested on Monday morning.
According to Coral Springs Police, the resident called the non-emergency number after he saw two men lifting door handles of vehicles parked inside the Sabal Point Apartments at 12000 W Sample Rd. The resident also provided police with details like what the pair were doing and wearing and kept his eyes on them until officers arrived on scene.
Officer Michael Kenny made contact with the caller, and the caller motioned to him that the suspects were inside a nearby white van. As Officer Kenny approached the van, William Fontez, 18, was exiting the driver’s side door and inside the front passenger’s seat, Alexander Montalvo, 20, was observed rummaging through the glove compartment.
Both suspects were taken into custody and contact was made with the owner of the white van, who told officers that neither of the suspects were authorized to be inside the vehicle and requested they were prosecuted.
Officers also noticed a second car, with its dome light illuminated, was also burglarized. Contact was made with that vehicle owner and he too requested prosecution.
In all, the suspects had in their possession: coins, sunglasses, a Garmin GPS, a phone charger, an I-POD and a camera. In addition, Fontez had in his possession a center-punch, a tool commonly used by burglars to smash glass. Fontez was charged with burglary, petit theft and possession of burglary tools. Montalvo was charged with burglary and petit theft.
Police credit the alert citizen who saw something suspicious and called the police.
Lt Joe McHugh said that when a resident calls police, they can remain anonymous, but asks that they stay on the phone with the dispatcher until police arrive.
“We do the best we can,” said McHugh, “But if we work together as a community, we’ll be even more successful in catching people.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.04.18Next Free Food Distribution Dates In Coral Springs, Tamarac, and Pompano Beach
- Events2021.04.18No-Appointment Needed Vaccination Sites Offered at 9 Broward County Locations
- Events2021.04.18Coral Springs Celebrates EarthFest 2021 and Street Clean Up
- Events2021.04.16President, Governor, Directs Flags at Half-Staff in Honor of Indianapolis Victims on April 20