By Bryan Boggiano
During Monday’s planning and zoning board, an official confirmed that Whole Foods will be located at City Village on the northwest corner of Sample Road and University Drive.
The grocer will occupy a 40,269-square-foot space immediately west of University Drive, which officials say will attract retailers to the proposed mixed-use development.
Whole Foods is currently located at 810 N University Dr in Coral Springs, which will eventually close after the move.
Baron Commercial Development president Charlie Ladd said bringing the chain grocer to Downtown Coral Springs is an exciting time.
Ladd said the Whole Foods will attract special restaurants, which residents will see as “the real deal” and something special.
Further retailers Baron is in talks with include Pura Vida and J. Alexander’s.
“We want to bring the retailers and restaurants that otherwise would go to Las Olas, Boca, or Plantation,” Ladd said.
Ladd said, however, between logistics and approvals, it would be at least until 2025 when Whole Foods finally opens its doors.
The news comes as development at City Village continues to gain headwind and as the planning and zoning board reviewed specific project components.
The mixed-use project includes seven structures, including four eight-story apartment buildings and two parking garages. It also has a main street bisecting the property and a pedestrian through-way.
Plans also include culverting a canal between the east and west sides of the property.
The City Commission originally approved Amera’s proposed City Village site purchase in 2022.
- Bryan has a degree in journalism from the University of Florida and earned his masters in geosciences from Florida International University, where he focused in atmospheric sciences. His interests include weather, entertainment, and municipal government.
- NewsJanuary 1, 2024BEST OF 2023: Inspiring Fitness Journey Earns Resident National Recognition
- NewsNovember 20, 2023Charter School Alum Works Toward Equity For Black Veterans
- NewsNovember 16, 2023Coral Springs Joins Regional Climate Effort, Commits to Bold Action Plan for Environmental Resilience
- NewsNovember 8, 2023Meet Dr. Juliana Forero: Leading Coral Springs Museum to New Heights with Inclusivity