By: Sharon Aron Baron
A 10-year-old child has succumbed to his injuries that were the result of a two-vehicle crash in Coral Springs.
According to police, at approximately 2:32 p.m. on July 15 at the intersection of University Drive and Wiles Road, a 2003 Chevrolet Express van driven by Michael Rico, 67, of Parkland was traveling eastbound on Wiles Road. Rico’s vehicle entered the intersection of University Drive where it collided with a 2016 Nissan Maxima driven by Torey New, 27, of Coral Springs as Torey attempted to turn left and travel south on University Drive. Also in the Nissan Maxima was New’s 10-year-old son, Jordan.
The impact caused the Chevrolet van to roll over and Rico was ejected from the vehicle. He was transported to Broward Health Coral Springs with non-life threatening injuries. Torey New was transported by ambulance to Broward General with non-life threatening injuries. Jordan New was transported via air rescue to Broward General with serious head injuries, and after one week was taken off of life support according to his family.
Supporters are asking for financial support for Torey New to help cover the medical, traveling, and transportation cost to help bring Jordan home to Texas for burial. GoFundme
Traffic Homicide Investigator Derek Fernandes is handling the investigation. Any possible witnesses to the crash are asked to call 954-346-1754.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.10.22Early Voting Report for October 21 for Northwest Regional Library
- News2020.10.2112 Winners Announced for ‘The Importance of Voting’ Virtual Poster Contest
- News2020.10.20Student Volunteers Needed at Chabad of Coral Springs Free Food Distribution
- News2020.10.17Battery, Burglary and Extortion This Week in Coral Springs Crime