By: Jen Russon
A gluten-free bakery, known for moving its location twice in Coral Springs, has returned from hiatus with a new presence east of Ramblewood South.
Big Mike’s Bakery and Cafe reopened on November 8, with new keto and vegan items on the menu, said owner and chief baker Michael Hopkins.
“We’re excited. It’s taken over a decade, but we have around 60,000 loyal customers, many from this area. That’s why we reopened right here in Coral Springs,” said Hopkins.
Previous locations of Big Mike’s were right next to a Chevron gas station and the inside of a health food store; however, the public’s sweet tooth and demand for gluten-free alternatives led to outgrowing those spaces.
“I’m proud of my trademarked flour blend, which is not only gluten-free but something others with celiac disease or intolerance can enjoy as much as any dessert,” he said, adding there’s a full lunch menu.
Retired from the NFL and a self-taught pastry chef, Hopkins was diagnosed with celiac disease over a decade ago. The faintest trace of gluten makes him sick — as a dessert lover, Hopkins could not let this stand, patenting a foolproof flour recipe gluten-free recipe.
The rest, as they say, is history, with customers seeking out Big Mike’s gluten-free bakery for catered events, special occasions, or just healthy meals, sweet treats, or smoothies on the go.
While the exact date and details are still unknown, Hopkins intends to have a grand reopening ceremony in the store before the end of 2021.
“The mayor of Coral Springs and the Food Network are coming out for it. Like I said, we’re very excited.”
Big Mike’s Bakery and Cafe is located at 7891 West Sample Road and is open every day but Sunday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Jen Russon has been a staff writer for Talk Media since 2018. She is also a novelist, copywriter and editor at Swallow Publishing, LLC.
- News2021.11.26Applications for School Choice to Open December 1
- News2021.11.23The Broward Health Coral Springs ‘Medical Staff Scholarship’ Now Accepting Applications
- Events2021.11.18Three 10th Graders from J.P. Taravella Make All-State Honors Concert Band
- Eat2021.11.183rd Time Really is a Charm for Big Mike’s Bakery and Cafe