By: Matt Rothman
As the scorching heat of summer draws near, the anticipation for the upcoming high school football season is reaching its peak in Coral Springs after four schools recently played in an exhilarating spring game.
Yapphet Butler debuted with the J.P. Taravella Trojans after taking over for Coach Clenner Goodman. The Trojans dropped their only spring game again, Spanish River Community High School, on May 19 and will kick off the regular season with a matchup against Everglades High School on August 25.
The Trojans sent 1-9 last year and had their only win against Pompano Beach High School. They went winless in 2020 and last had a winning season in 2018. They will begin their season against Everglades on August 25.
The Jaguars were a young team last year after making the postseason in back-to-back years. They won two games and will face South Plantation High School on August 24.
Coral Springs Charter dominated in their spring game with a win over Coral Shores High School. The Panthers went 4-6 last year with wins against Archbishop McCarthy, Traditions Prep, Northeast, and J.P. Taravella. They are set to open their season at home against NSU University on August 25.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year