By: Sharon Aron Baron
You may be an good driver, but everyday you may have to deal with inexperienced, impatient and even dangerous drivers.
The AARP is providing a class open to drivers of all ages to review the current rules of the road, learn defensive driving techniques, and how to operate a vehicle more safely. Participants will learn how to manage and accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time.
In addition, participants will learn:
· How to minimize the effects of dangerous blind spots
· How to maintain the proper following distance behind another car
· The safest ways to change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
· Proper use of safety belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, and new technologies used in cars
· Ways to monitor your own and others’ driving skills and capabilities
· The effects of medications on driving
· The importance of eliminating distractions, such as eating, smoking, and cell-phone use
The next class is set for Saturday, June 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Course costs $15 for AARP members or $20 for non-members. Participants who successfully complete the course will be provided with a certificate for their auto insurance agency. Most agencies will allow for a discount on auto insurance premiums for up to three years.
Participants must register in advance. Please note that lunch will not be provided. The class will be held at the Coral Springs Public Safety Building, 2801 Coral Springs Drive. For more information, call Cindy Heafy 954-346-1393 or visit www.CoralSprings.org/aarp.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- EventsFebruary 25, 2024American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life Taking Place in Coral Springs
- EventsFebruary 22, 2024Black History Month Book Fair Celebrates African American Culture
- EventsFebruary 21, 2024Phi Xi Zeta Chapter Celebrates 16 Years in Coral Springs with Tribute to Police
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Coral Glades Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher