By: Sharon Aron Baron
Join area Veterans in Coral Springs and honor the men and women who served in the United States Armed Forces who deserve this day in recognition for their service to our country.
This year’s ceremony will feature keynote speaker Master Gunnery Sergeant Gomez of the U.S. Marine Corps. who enlisted in the delayed entry program in 1986. Following Boot Camp, he was trained in Oklahoma, and then shipped to Japan. He deployed multiple times to the republic of Korea, Mount Fugi Japan, and the Philippines. In Sept 1990, Gomez made a lateral move to Explosive Ordnance Disposal at Eglin Air Force Base, and was then transferred back to Japan.
In 1995, Gomez received orders for duty as a canvassing recruiter. Upon graduation from recruiter school, he reported to Fort Lauderdale and served as a recruiter in South Dade. During his tour as a canvassing recruiter Gomez was recognized as the recruiter of the year for consecutive years and was also a finalist for recruiter of the nation on both occasions earning a Meritorious promotion to the rank of Gunnery Sergeant.
In 1998, Gomez was issued orders to Kaneohe Bay Hawaii where he served for a period of 30 months as an EOD Team Leader and deployed (7) times to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and to North Korea on the recovery of human remain excavations that resulted in the finding of 27 remains of American servicemen.
In March 2001, he returned to Fort Lauderdale as a SNCOIC of Recruiting Substation Miami. In 2012 he retired after 25 years of active duty.
There will also be a 21-gun salute at the event, a placing of the wreath, and raising of the military and United States flags.
Residents can donate any faded or tattered U.S. Flags, by dropping them off at the Retired Flag Box located outside the Coral Springs Gymnasium located at 2501 Coral Springs Drive where the Veterans Coalition will properly be disposing them.
The Veteran’s Day Ceremony will be held Saturday, November 11, at 11:00 a.m., Veterans Park is located at 8601 Royal Palm Blvd., just east of University Drive.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event