By: Sharon Aron Baron
Commissioner Stacy Ritter issued a proclamation at the Broward County Commission meeting for one local baseball team proclaiming August 13, as “North Springs Little League Appreciation Day” for their championship win this successful season.
The North Springs 11 Year-Old Little League All Stars captured the 2013 Florida State Championship and continued on to North Carolina to capture the Southeast Regional Championship over the summer. Many of the players helped capture the 10 Year-Old Southeastern Regional Championship last summer which was a first for any team in Broward County, and the North Springs Little League did it again.
Led by Manager Matt Halprin, and Coaches Tony Stravino and Dan Cyr, the team swept through the Little League District Tournament going 2-0, and followed that up by going 2-0 in the Sectional Tournament in Fort Lauderdale, thus earning a berth in the Little League State Tournament which was held in Melbourne, Florida.
The North Springs Little League All-Stars then went 5-0 at the State Tournament earning the right to represent Florida at the Little League Southeastern Tournament held in Greenville, North Carolina against the seven other Southeast State Champions ( Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia).
While the boys traveled the farthest amongst all participating teams, they finished 5-0 with victories over West Virginia 5-1, North Carolina 10-0, South Carolina 8-3, West Virginia 3-2 (Semi Finals) and Georgia 13-4 (Finals).
Although they ended the season on top, their goal for next year is to make it to the 2014 Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.28Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Free Food Distribution December 1
- News2020.11.28Drop Off Hazardous Materials at 2 Different Dates and Locations in December
- News2020.11.28Coral Springs Hopes for a Little Holiday Magic with Home Decor Contest
- News2020.11.28Coral Springs Holds Virtual Tree-Lighting Ceremony