By Ryan Yousefi
A Coral Springs man was arrested and charged with attempted murder after a string of attacks on strangers, including one victim that sustained multiple stab wounds and was left fighting for his life.
On April 23, the Coral Springs Police Department responded to an emergency call at the Vapor Tech store located at 8005 West Sample Road.
According to the arrest report, officers were told a man in the store was punched in the face by a man, later identified as Fernando Lopez, 30, of Coral Springs, last seen walking westbound through the plaza.
Witnesses described Lopez to law enforcement as a White/Hispanic male wearing cargo shorts and a red shirt. They also told police he was carrying a bag of food in a plastic bag.
As officers responded to the arrived to the initial emergency call, they encountered an unknown male covered in blood and several lacerations.
The report states the man – covered in cuts along his arms, face, and head – was coherent enough to point towards another man walking northbound on Riverside Drive.
Officers on the scene immediately recognized the man fit the description of the suspect they were looking for before encountering the man and called for backup.
The report shows Coral Springs Parkland Fire Rescue responded to the scene and immediately transported the stabbing victim to Broward Health North.
Officers responding to the request for backup contacted Lopez and held him while fellow officers drove by with the initial man punched in the face to confirm his identity as the assailant.
The man confirmed to police Lopez was indeed the person who had punched him in the face, providing further reasoning for holding him while the investigation into the stabbing continued.
According to the arrest report, an investigation discovered Lopez had entered a residence requesting to speak to a man. When roommates of the man asked him where he was from, Lopez said, “Los Angeles,” and left. The men inside the home later told investigators they did not know Lopez, and he was not permitted to come inside their home.
The report says 30 minutes later, Lopez returned with a steak knife, and before the stabbing the victim said to him, “I’m going to kill you.”
According to medical records, the victim was stabbed multiple times across his left forearm, left neck area, chin, nose, eyebrow, eye, and head.
During the investigation, a third victim came forward, telling officers Lopez was the man who had punched him in the face outside the Priya’s Roti Shop at 8007 West Sample Road.
The man told police Lopez had asked him for drugs, and when he did not provide them, he punched him once in the nose, causing it to bleed.
Identified as the culprit in multiple assaults throughout the day, Lopez was arrested and transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here. Don’t miss reading Parkland Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiple outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- Events2023.06.01Rapids Water Park Honors South Florida Teachers with ‘Educator Appreciation Day’ June 10
- Crime & Safety2023.05.30Man Carrying a Concealed Sword inside of Urgent Care Waiting Room Faces Charges
- Crime & Safety2023.05.277 Unrestrained Children, Open Beer Bottle: Coral Springs Resident Faces 27 Charges Following Car Accident
- Crime & Safety2023.05.27Coral Springs Police Arrest Suspect for Premeditated Murder After a Night of Chaos in Coconut Creek