By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Coral Springs Panthers 14U softball team played at the World Fastpitch Connection Nationals in North Myrtle Beach, SC as the only team representing Florida.
Out of 25 other teams representing their age group from across the country, they earned runner-up after playing overtime during the championship game.
Pitcher Juliana Hooker and short-stop Ciera Taylor earned the highest award from the umpires for being the best in their position out of hundreds of players at the event. Because they had limited pitching, Hooker pitched all 12 games, 55 innings with a strike average of over 65 percent.
The defense only allowed 11 runs total and seven of the games were shut for that week, the lowest scoring team from the 14U age group.
“Many of the young women have been part of the organization since grade school and were very proud as teenagers to represent such a great program and fought until the very end for the team and our city,” said parent Ionnika Nunez.
Nunez said that along with practicing three times a week at Cypress Park for up to three hours, many of the girls excel in school while being honor roll students in advanced classes.
The team will be holding tryouts soon, so please contact Coach Mike Thompson 954-235-8892 for more information.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.23Coral Springs Holiday Parade Becomes a Drive-Thru Experience
- News2020.11.20MLK Committee Hosts Inaugural Virtual Art Contest for K-12 Students
- News2020.11.20Feeding South Florida to Host Thanksgiving Food Distributions in Days Leading Up to Thanksgiving
- News2020.11.16Coral Springs Police and Dispatch Receive National Re-Accreditation