Forest Glen Middle School eight grader, Randell Slapikas, has been selected as a Distinguished Finalist in the 2013 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards for his outstanding volunteer work in his community.
Slapikas has raised more than $50,000 since 2007 when he founded “Kids of Love,” a nonprofit organization that provides financial and emotional support to children suffering from long-term illness and their families. Hosting a new fundraising effort each month, Slapikas makes presentations to local government and support groups, and has overseen the development of “Kids of Love” chapters at many local schools.
The Prudential Spirit of Community Award represents the United States’ largest youth recognition program based solely on volunteer service.
“Prudential is proud to honor these students for making meaningful contributions to their communities,” said Prudential Chairman and CEO John Strangfeld. “We hope that shining a spotlight on their initiative, creativity and compassion inspires others to consider how they, too, can make a difference.”
“Through their volunteer service, each of these young people has made his or her mark on at least one person, school, or community,” said JoAnn Bartoletti, executive director of NASSP (National Association of Secondary School Principals). “When you consider the collective impact of each of these individual acts, it’s clear that young people can be a major force for good.”
Slapikas will receive an engraved bronze medallion and is also qualified for the President’s Volunteer Service Award.
Forest Glen Middle School is located in Coral Springs, Florida.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.22Coral Springs Museum of Art Features the Smithsonian’s ‘100 Faces of War’
- News2020.09.22MD NOW in Coral Springs Now Offering Free Flu Shots
- News2020.09.205 Cases of Child Abuse Reported this Week in Coral Springs Crime
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee