By: Sharon Aron Baron
Incoming University of Florida students from Broward County were awarded scholarships from the Broward County Gator Club including schools from Coral Springs.
The club, which is actively involved in volunteering in the community, awards at least 15 $1,500 scholarships each year to outstanding Broward County students attending their first year at the University of Florida.
To be considered, students must be seniors, graduating from a public or private Broward County high school, and must be accepted and will be attending the University of Florida the upcoming year. The applicants are then reviewed and scored by the board members.
University of Florida alumni, and Broward County Commissioner Michael Udine who received both his undergraduate and law degree from the University of Florida was present at the ceremony and commended the Gator Club for giving the students financial help as they move forward into college.
“UF really offers something for everyone, so take advantage of all the great opportunities that gator nation offers,” he said.
The Gator Club holds events, including watch parties and young alumni socials throughout the year to raise the funds. They also have been actively seeking scholarship sponsorships. Since the scholarship program was started, they have awarded over $550,000 to local students who are UF bound.
Recipients of the scholarships are:
Ashley Stultz – Calvary Christian Academy
Ryan Levi – College Academy at Broward College
Thomas Popovics – College Academy at Broward College
John Kallas – Coral Springs Charter
Haoquan Yuan – Coral Springs High
Brooke Miller – Cypress Bay High
Matthew Ulino – Cypress Bay High
Maria Paula Alaez – Fort Lauderdale High
Belle LaMontagne – J.P. Taravella High
Zachary Blanket – J.P. Taravella High
Alex Barreto – Somerset Academy Charter High
Sum Chi Poon – Somerset Academy Charter High
Izabela Cianci – South Plantation High
James Greco – St. Thomas Aquinas High
Sarah Elaine Davis – St. Thomas Aquinas High
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.04.16President, Governor, Directs Flags at Half-Staff in Honor of Indianapolis Victims on April 20
- News2021.04.14Coral Springs Man Catches Unbelievable Video of Meteor
- News2021.04.14J&J Appointment Canceled? Broward Health has a solution
- News2021.04.13City of Coral Springs Live-Streams 33rd Annual National Day of Prayer