Governor DeSantis Highlights Historic Week for Florida on December 18.
By Sharon Aron Baron
Governor Ron DeSantis announced a new Executive Order during the first phase of vaccine administration targeting older Floridians.
On Wednesday, Gov. DeSantis announced Executive Order 20-315 requiring all providers to administer any COVID-19 vaccine for long-term care facility residents and staff; persons 65 years of age and older; and health care personnel with direct patient contact.
Hospitals, however, also may vaccinate persons who they deem to be extremely vulnerable to COVID-19.
On Tuesday, Gov. Ron DeSantis said essential workers would not be prioritized in the state’s next round of COVID-19 vaccinations — against US health officials’ advice.
“The vaccines are going to be targeted where the risk is going to be greatest, and that’s in our elderly population,” DeSantis said. “We are not going to put young, healthy workers ahead of our elderly, vulnerable population.”
Gov. DeSantis also announced that in addition to hospitals, County Health Departments would begin vaccinating individuals 65 and older in the coming weeks as supply permits.
At this time, a limited amount of COVID-19 vaccine has been received by select counties; as more doses become available, they will work with their community partners to provide vaccines to those 65 and older.
Over the past two weeks, more than 170 hospitals across the state have received doses of the COVID-19 vaccines. As a part of their allocation, hospitals received enough doses to vaccinate their entire frontline health care staff and have vaccine remaining.
Read Executive Order 20-315.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.06.22Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event
- Events2021.06.22Ticket Alert: Comedian Steven Wright Performs at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.06.18Volunteers Needed for Coral Springs Drive Clean-Up Day June 26
- News2021.06.18Broward County Public Schools Offer 39 Covid Vaccination Sites for Students 12 and Older