I expect a lot from our elected officials, and one thing I personally require is that they live in the area in which they are elected.
Even though former Lieutenant Colonial Allen West isn’t required to live in his own district to run for Congress, he fled to greener, or should I say redder pastures to the north, instead of battling it out on his home turf against Debbie Wasserman Schultz in 2010.
This year after redistricting made District 22 a bit more challenging for West with more Democrats than Republicans, what does West do? Does he stand his ground and fight to keep his seat?
No, West heads north again.
With barely a chance to get to know the constituents in his congressional district, West will make another migratory move north into the new 18th Congressional District. This District will include the northern part of Palm Beach, Martin and St Lucie Counties.
After statements like the one on April 10th, when a moderator at a town hall meeting in Jensen Beach asked West, “What percentage of the American legislature do you think are card-carrying Marxists?”
“That’s a fair question,” West replied. “I believe there’s about 78 to 81 members of the Democratic Party that are members of the Communist Party.”
According to the Congressional Progressive Caucus website:
The Progressive Promise is rooted in four core principles that embody national priorities and are consistent with the values, needs and aspirations of all the American people, not just the powerful and the privileged. They reflect a fundamental belief in government of the people, by the people, and for the people. “
West was talking about members of congress that were part of the Congressional Progressive Caucus which have nothing to do with communism.
Misstatements like this should demand outrage from his constituants. Communists murdered millions of people and comparing members of the CPC to communists is illogical and irresponsible on West’s end. The constituants of District 22 should thank their lucky stars that this Loony Tune is leaving town.
For those of you in Martin and St. Lucie County who have a chance to vote for the nomadic congressman from Plantation in November, remember to just keep pointing north.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.04.02Large Increase in Coral Springs COVID-19 Cases On April 2 City by City Report
- News2020.04.02Cruise Ships Given Permission to Dock at Port Everglades Thursday Afternoon
- News2020.04.01Coral Springs COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise in Florida Department of Health April 1 Report
- News2020.04.01Marjory Stoneman Douglas Teachers Share Inspiring Messages for Students in New Video