By: Matt Rothman
J.P. Taravella’s varsity baseball team got a bit better with the addition of another pitcher to their roster for the 2022 season.
Jacob Smith, who committed to play for the University of Pacific in California as both a hitter and pitcher, will first play his senior year with the Trojans after transferring from Spanish River Community High School in Boca Raton.
During his two years playing high school baseball, Smith struck out 27 hitters in 16.2 innings. He also added six hits last year, including three doubles while playing in the outfield.
Smith says his decision to transfer to JPT was easy. He has never seen a team hungrier for success and is excited to play for Head Coach Joe Giummule.
Raised in Long Island, Smith moved to Florida in seventh grade and began playing baseball at 11-years old. A big part of helping him learn the game is Hitting and Pitching Coach Stock Ramirez and Strength and Conditioning Coach Emanuel Ramirez.
Smith also credits his family for all the hard work they have put in to get to this point, from taking him to practices and games to supporting him during highs and lows. His older brother Jacob, who attends the University of Tampa, is also in constant communication with Smith helping to improve his game.
After one year with the Trojans, Smith will be joining a college baseball program that has won 110 games since 2016.
Being committed means everything to him. He always wanted to play at a high level, and knowing he is going to a Division 1 school is “mind-blowing.”
“It is a big accomplishment, but it doesn’t change the way I work.”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.16CSC’s Chris Haire Coaches Inaugural Battle at The Beach All-Star Game
- News2022.01.15Coral Springs Charter’s Dalton Mason Wins the Senior Bowl Tournament
- News2022.01.15Coral Springs High School Boys and Girls Soccer Cap Off Strong Week with Senior Night
- News2022.01.14Coral Glades Cheerleading Qualify for State Semifinals