By Kevin Deutsch
A man seeking to hire a Coral Springs resident and business owner to murder his former girlfriend’s new love interest was sentenced to seven years in federal prison on Wednesday.
He had faced up to 10 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine
Hadeed mailed a letter to the intended hitman requesting murder services in September 2021.
“I need someone eliminated,” Hadeed wrote to the Coral Springs resident, who was actually working with law enforcement. “I’ve been told you can arrange that. $10,000. All in cash and upfront. Person located in Tampa.”
In Hadeed’s first and two subsequent letters, prosecutors said that he instructed the intended hitman to signal acceptance of the offer by posting marked sheets of paper on a storefront window, among other signals.
On Nov. 10, 2021, the intended hitman received a final mailing from Hadeed that included a description and pictures of the man Hadeed wanted to be killed, the victim’s home address, and his likely travel schedule, as well as a deadline for the murder, according to the Department of Justice.
Also inside the envelope was $10,000 cash, prosecutors said.
Hadeed left the country on a one-way ticket the same day the hitman received the cash and pictures.
During a secondary customs inspection conducted when Hadeed returned to the U.S. from his international trip, additional evidence of the crime was uncovered, according to the government.
Law enforcement officers, who had learned of the crime, arrested Hadeed. Federal prosecutors filed a case against him in December 2021.
The target of the intended hit is romantically involved with Hadeed’s former girlfriend, prosecutors said.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.12.22Coral Springs Crime Update: 19K Robbery and Car Burglaries
- News2022.12.17Coral Springs Crime Update: Car Burglaries and 41K Fraud
- Crime & Safety2022.12.14Coral Springs Man Faces Attempted Murder Charge for Shooting in Margate
- Crime & Safety2022.12.12Man Shoots Ex-Girlfriend’s New Beau in Coral Springs