By: Sharon Aron Baron
Residents and local business owners who are interested in learning more about what goes on inside the Coral Springs Police Department will soon have a chance to find out, thanks to their upcoming 39th Citizens Police Academy.
The Citizens Police Academy provides an overview of what actual police cadets learn during several months of intense training and is a thorough look at how each topic, from the police budget to traffic enforcement to criminal investigation, relates to and affects their own community. It is not a by-the-book method of conventional law enforcement education.
The Citizens Police Academy is open to any Coral Springs resident or business owner over the age of 18. In addition, consent for a background check is required prior to admission into the program.
Classes cover topics such as Road Patrol Operations, K9, Special Investigations, Communications, and SWAT. There will also be multiple opportunities for hands-on learning through equipment demonstrations, practical scenarios, and ride-a-longs with patrol officers.
After completion of the Citizens’ Police Academy, graduates can continue their police education by joining the Alumni group. In addition to meeting every other month to enjoy learning about expanded criminal justice topics, alumni members are often asked to assist the Police Department in City of Coral Springs special events, such as the holiday parade, Our Town, and other events.
Lecture topics have include expanded versions of Academy subjects, guest speakers from different federal law enforcement agencies, and jail tours. Graduates may also become involved in the Community Assisted Patrol.
The Academy meets Thursday evenings from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. for 14 weeks at the Public Safety Building.The deadline to turn in a completed application is April 1, 2019. Classes begin Thursday, April 25th, 2019.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.10.23Trader Joe’s Sets Opening Date in Coral Springs
- News2020.10.22Early Voting Report for October 21 for Northwest Regional Library
- News2020.10.2112 Winners Announced for ‘The Importance of Voting’ Virtual Poster Contest
- News2020.10.20Student Volunteers Needed at Chabad of Coral Springs Free Food Distribution