By: Sharon Aron Baron
If you’re tired of sitting on the sidelines while everyone is having fun on the ice, then here’s your chance to finally learn to skate.
Learn to Skate USA, and U.S. Figure Skating have partnered to host their fifth and final Adaptive SkateFest at the Florida Panthers IceDen.
Residents in the Coral Springs and Parkland area are invited to participate in this Skatefest event where beginner skaters receive a free two-hour ice skating lesson taught by certified “Learn to Skate USA” instructors.
The event welcomes people of all ages and skill levels, and complimentary skate rentals and adaptive equipment are available if needed.
This event marks the fifth of five Adaptive SkateFests that Learn to Skate USA have hosted coast-to-coast as a result of a $52,000 grant awarded to U.S. Figure Skating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to benefit Veterans, Active Duty military and people with disabilities. The first was held in Arlington, Virginia.
“I was so excited to skate, but I had little to no concept of how it would actually happen,” said Cara Liebowitz, an attendee at the Arlington, Virginia SkateFest. “The event exceeded my wildest dreams, truly. I’ll never forget it.”
The grant covers ice time, instruction, and equipment designed specifically for skaters with disabilities. Each SkateFest event will retain ten pieces of equipment, thus allowing them to continue with adaptive skating programs.
Learn to Skate USA offers an adaptive skating program that allows skaters with a range of physical or developmental disabilities to skate. Taught by certified instructors, the program is designed to engage these individuals in the sport for recreation, activity, and enjoyment.
The event will be held Saturday, Aug. 17, from 3:30-5:15 p.m. Registration for the Coral Springs SkateFest is now open.
Florida Panthers IceDen is located at 299 Sportsplex Dr, Coral Springs, FL 33065.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.10.22Early Voting Report for October 21 for Northwest Regional Library
- News2020.10.2112 Winners Announced for ‘The Importance of Voting’ Virtual Poster Contest
- News2020.10.20Student Volunteers Needed at Chabad of Coral Springs Free Food Distribution
- News2020.10.17Battery, Burglary and Extortion This Week in Coral Springs Crime