By Kevin Deutsch
An armed Margate man fired several gunshots and barricaded himself inside his mother’s Coral Springs home Friday, leading to an hours-long standoff with SWAT team members and police crisis negotiators, authorities said.
Brandon Hayes, 25, holed up in the home near Wiles Road and Creekside Drive after 8 a.m. and was arrested shortly before 3:30 p.m., authorities said. He had made multiple threats of violence during the standoff after firing several shots that did not hit anyone.
The crisis ended without injury, according to Coral Springs Police.
Some residents in the immediate area were evacuated as a precaution during the standoff, and all outdoor activities were suspended at nearby Park Springs Elementary School, police said.
Hayes, whose arrest history includes charges of assaulting a police officer, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and trespassing for violently refusing to leave a Coral Springs Tijuana Taxi, is expected to face multiple charges connected with Friday’s incident.
Send to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- Crime & Safety2021.11.28Coral Springs Police Arrest Driver With 22 License Suspensions
- News2021.11.26Coral Springs Crime Update: Extortion and Battery on a School Employee
- Crime & Safety2021.11.24Man Threatened His Mother, Deputy Police Chief and Detective With Gun During Armed Standoff
- News2021.11.20Coral Springs Crime Update: $48K Fraud and Shooting Into Building