By Jill Fox
With spring cleaning in full swing, there’s a way to get rid of a few things while making some extra cash.
Since most Parkland neighborhoods don’t allow garage sales, Lauren Rubenstein, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School athletic and activities director came up with the idea of hosting a community garage sale which would also help them raise much-needed funds for the athletic department.
“With the help of Anthony Rizzo and the “Night Under the Lights with Anthony Rizzo” fundraiser, we were able to accomplish our last fundraising goal for new stadium lighting for the baseball and softball fields, which is coming to fruition this summer,” said Rubenstein, who added that with support from the community, the school is very excited to get things done that are available to them at this point.
Rubenstein said ultimately, Stoneman Douglas needs to put money into their athletic facilities, so it’s a long-term project as far as fundraising. The school stadium doesn’t currently have restrooms or concession stands, so this is the first in a list of necessary upgrades.
The community garage sale will take place on Saturday, May 18, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in the Stoneman Douglas High School senior parking lot off of Holmberg Road. For just a $2 donation per car, Parkland and Coral Springs attendees can look and shop. For those interested in purchasing a spot to sell their treasures, the cost is $25.
Contact Lauren Rubenstein at Lauren.Rubenstein@browardschools.com for more information.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 6.
- News2020.07.09Nominate Someone for the 2020 Broward Education Foundation Hall of Fame
- News2020.06.23Bus Drivers Needed for 2020-2021 School Year
- News2020.06.23New Building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas On Track for Completion
- News2020.06.18Solidarity Walk Organized by Former Marjory Stoneman Douglas Class President