By Jill Fox
With spring cleaning in full swing, there’s a way to get rid of a few things while making some extra cash.
Since most Parkland neighborhoods don’t allow garage sales, Lauren Rubenstein, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School athletic and activities director came up with the idea of hosting a community garage sale which would also help them raise much-needed funds for the athletic department.
“With the help of Anthony Rizzo and the “Night Under the Lights with Anthony Rizzo” fundraiser, we were able to accomplish our last fundraising goal for new stadium lighting for the baseball and softball fields, which is coming to fruition this summer,” said Rubenstein, who added that with support from the community, the school is very excited to get things done that are available to them at this point.
Rubenstein said ultimately, Stoneman Douglas needs to put money into their athletic facilities, so it’s a long-term project as far as fundraising. The school stadium doesn’t currently have restrooms or concession stands, so this is the first in a list of necessary upgrades.
The community garage sale will take place on Saturday, May 18, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in the Stoneman Douglas High School senior parking lot off of Holmberg Road. For just a $2 donation per car, Parkland and Coral Springs attendees can look and shop. For those interested in purchasing a spot to sell their treasures, the cost is $25.
Contact Lauren Rubenstein at Lauren.Rubenstein@browardschools.com for more information.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsSeptember 20, 2022Coral Springs Theater Mentor Loses Battle with Cancer
- NewsMay 25, 2022Coral Springs High School Graduate Earns Prestigious Fashion Scholarship
- EventsMay 19, 2022Quit Horsin’ Around And Spend Your Summer At Spitfire Farm
- EventsMay 19, 2022Register Now for Dolphins Football and Cheer Summer Camps