What’s in a name? For one Coral Springs candidate, voters getting the correct one in November.
At last week’s city commission meeting, Howard Melamed, candidate for City Commissioner was called “Howard Mohammad”on close-caption television.
“I’m not offended, it’s just that I have a hearing aid and that’s why it’s equally challenging,” Melamed said to Coral Springs Talk. “I understand people that have hearing problems and that’s why I contacted them right away when I saw this.”
“The point is to make sure the voters get it right.”
Melamed emailed City Manager Erdal Donmez who called him back and told him that the city uses an outside source to transcribe the closed captioning. Donmez told him the mistake would be rectified immediately.
Mohammed is the name of the Islamic prophet and it is estimated that more than 150 million men and boys in the world have that name.
Melamed, who is Jewish belongs to Temple Beth Am as well as attends services at the Chabad at Coral Springs.
Melamed just wants people to know his correct name at the polls in November.
“Just don’t call me my opponents name.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.21State COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Scheduling System Now Up in Broward County
- News2021.01.20See the Works of Photographer and Filmmaker Cheryl Maeder at the Coral Springs Museum
- News2021.01.19Coral Springs Crime and Arrest Update Through January 12
- News2021.01.19Girl Scouts Receive Funding from Coral Springs Community Chest