By: Sharon Aron Baron
As a result of the continuing internal investigation and disciplinary process, Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony officially announced the termination of two deputies who were found to have neglected their duties.
Immediately after taking command, Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony focused on the internal investigation of seven deputies to determine whether their actions at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018, complied with Broward Sheriff’s Office standards.
The two are former Deputy Scot Peterson and Sergeant Brian Miller. The deputy and sergeant were found to have neglected their duties at MSD High School. They have been terminated and will no longer be privileged to serve as law enforcement deputies for the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
Subsequent to an administrative discipline hearing at BSO headquarters this afternoon, former Deputy Peterson was taken into custody on multiple felony and misdemeanor charges and booked into the BSO Main Jail.
“We cannot fulfill our commitment to always protect the security and safety of our Broward County community without doing a thorough assessment of what went wrong that day,” Sheriff Tony said. “I am committed to addressing deficiencies and improving the Broward Sheriff’s Office.”
Sheriff Tony said The Broward Sheriff’s Office and first responders are now better prepared and trained to respond to an active shooter crisis.
“We have enhanced our active shooter response protocol, increased our training staff, introduced essential equipment, established training partnerships with federal organizations and are building a regional training center.”
No word yet if either keeps their pensions.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.17Dr. John W. Ruffin Posthumously Named Martin Luther King Jr Monument Award Winner
- News2021.01.16Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Applications Open to 5 High Schools
- News2021.01.15Taddeo and Daley Re-File Legislation to Repeal Unconstitutional Gun Regulation Restriction on Local Governments
- News2021.01.13U.S. Rep Deutch Calls on Pence to Activate 25th Amendment