By Sharon Aron Baron
On Thursday, almost three years after the deadly Marjory Stoneman Douglas massacre, legislation to repeal unconstitutional gun regulation on local governments was filed.
State Rep Dan Daley (D-Coral Springs) filed HB 6033. State Senator Annette Taddeo (D-Miami) filed the Senate companion SB 672 to repeal Section 790.33, Florida Statutes, which currently preempts local gun regulations.
Currently, if local elected officials choose to enact gun regulations within their communities, it could result in fines, removal from office, and lawsuits. After the Parkland massacre, this caused frustration from the Coral Springs city commission after residents demanded changes. In 1987 the law was enacted; however, in 2011, Matt Gaetz, who sponsored HB 45 in the House, helped pass the punitive provisions.
Daley wants to repeal both of these.
“Since 2011, local elected officials — those who know their community best — have been prevented from doing what their residents demand. Gun violence is an epidemic that the entire nation is being subjected to, and all levels of government should have a seat at the solution table,” said Rep. Daley.
A 2008 graduate of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Daley joined with fellow local elected officials to bring the lawsuit to overturn the “draconian and unconstitutional punitive provisions.”
“This NRA-backed law was wrong when it was passed in 1987 and is wrong today. That’s why I’m proud to sponsor this legislation alongside Senator Taddeo.”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.10.22Tickets Still Available for Comedian Whitney Cummings Nov. 12
- Events2021.10.21Tickets Still Available for ‘The Price is Right Live’ in Coral Springs Oct. 29
- News2021.10.19Volunteers Needed to Assist Free Food Distribution at Chabad of Coral Springs
- News2021.10.14Coral Springs ‘Taps’ into Bavarian Culture with Amazing Oktoberfest Celebration