By: Sharon Aron Baron
The JP Taravella High School Jazz Band will soon be heading to New York City to play at the Lincoln Center. Before they do, they’ll be holding a concert fundraiser to help defray the costs.
The highly rated jazz band ensemble, which has received countless accolades locally, regionally, and nationally and soon will be be participating in a one-of-a-kind competition called “Essentially Ellington – High School Jazz Band Competition & Festival” in May hosted by Wynton Marsalis and Jazz at Lincoln Center.
“We are excited to travel to New York and clinic with the JALC (Jazz at Lincoln Center) staff,” said Director Cheldon Williams. “The music of the the 20’s and 30’s is becoming more and more a part of the curriculum at JPT, and we are learning so much about our heritage through this music.”
To help defray the costs of this trip, the band will host “An Evening at the Savoy” on Saturday, March 12, from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m at the Tamarac Community Center.
The event will consist of fine dining and musical entertainment where the jazz band will entertain their guests the entire evening.
Purchase tickets for $25 pp at www.jptmusic.org. The price includes dinner, drinks, desserts, and show. Can’t attend? Then help the band get to New York City by donating to their GoFundme Page and giving whatever you can.
The Tamarac Community Center is located at 8601 W Commercial Blvd, Tamarac, FL 33351.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.205 Cases of Child Abuse Reported this Week in Coral Springs Crime
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee
- News2020.09.18Coral Springs Employer Awards Grants to 2 Minority-Owned Businesses
- News2020.09.17VIDEO: Coral Springs Police Respond to Alleged Rough Arrest Video